Current Session: 2014 Legislative Session (FY2015)
Making sense of the state budget process can seem overwhelming at first. This toolkit is designed to make it easier to access and understand information about the budget process and fiscal policy options under consideration.
Start by reviewing some budget basics:
Timeline General description of budget formation timeline
Budget Hearings (This link will take you to the Budget Hearing Schedule – click TAB on right that is titled “BUDGET HEARING SCHEDULE” to refresh latest version of the schedule)
2014 Legislative Session (FY2015) SD Budget & Policy Project analysis
Bills affecting sales tax expenditures or circuit breakers:
- Governor includes Tax Expenditure report in FY15 Budget Summary (p 18-21) See SD BPI Research on Tax Expenditure Reports
- HB1113 make an appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly persons and persons with a disability and to declare an emergency. SD BPI Research & Testimony
Bills affecting budget tools or budget process:
- SB11 require the submission to the Legislature of a financial plan that assesses the long-term financial implications of current and proposed policies, programs, and assumptions. SD BPI Research: Budgeting for the Future, SD Public Radio: Midday Interivew
Bills affecting school funding formula
- Testimony: 1-22-14 to Joint Appropriations Committee on South Dakota k-12 education funding and teacher salary trends.
- Additional Research response to questions raised by Joint Appropriations during testimony 1-22-14
- Testimony: HB 1004: Testimony 1-29-14 to House Education Committee at 1 hr 2 minutes into meeting recording.
- Addition Research response to questions raised in state affairs
- HB1210: expand Medicaid eligibility.
- HB1239: revise the financial eligibility requirements to obtain certain medical assistance.
- HB1244: assist certain qualified employees with health insurance.
- HJR1007: to refer to the voters the question of whether the state should expand Medicaid pursuant to the Affordable Care Act.
- SJR3: to refer to the voters the question of whether the state should expand Medicaid pursuant to the Affordable Care Act. Deferred to 41st day (killed) by Senate State Affairs 2-10-14.
New revenue projections adopted by SD 2014 legislature for FY14 and FY15 budgets
- $1,348,309,187—FY14 ongoing revenue estimate ($5.4 million less than Governor’s 12/3/13 budget estimate)
- $1,391,836,433—FY15 ongoing revenue estimate ($1.9 million less than Governor’s 12/3/13 budget estimate)
See explanation of the South Dakota revenue estimation process.
2014 Legislative Session (FY2015)
Key South Dakota government budget documents and websites
- Governor Daugaard’s Budget Address for Fiscal Year 2015
- Legislative Research Council website
- Fiscal Analysis and Agency Documents submitted to Joint Appropriations Committee. Select department from tabs along top of Budget Book and then choose documents from tabs on right.
- Communicating with legislators—how to contact or get information to your legislators
- Communicating with legisaltors—how to make your case
- Testifying before a legislative committee—point to remember